This lemon sponge cake recipe shows how to make a lemon cake. Often called a lemon drizzle cake, this lemon cake recipe is delicious.
Ingredients – 2lb loaf tin
- Self-raising flour: 180g
- Baking powder: 1tsp
- Caster sugar: 180g
- Eggs (large): 2
- Milk: 50ml
- Sunflower oil: 150ml
- Lemon: 1
- Lemon juice: 3tbs
- Butter: greasing
For the syrup
- Icing sugar: 65g
- Lemon juice: 4tbs
Getting everything ready
- Lightly grease a 2lb loaf tin with a touch of butter and neatly line with greaseproof paper (or use a ready made liner).
- Grate the rind of lemon into a small clean disk and add the lemon juice (3tbs).
- Break the eggs into a small jug and beat well.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the caster sugar and mix together well.
- In another bowl, add the sunflower oil, milk, eggs, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix together well. Add this mixture to the bowl containing the flour and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the loaf tin. Place the tin on a baking tray and put in the pre-heated oven for about 45-50 minutes until golden brown and firm to touch.
- While the lemon cake is baking, make the syrup by mixing the icing sugar with 4tbs of lemon juice. Place in a saucepan over a low heat, stirring from time to time, until it forms a sticky syrup. Remove from the heat and keep warm until needed.
- Remove the lemon cake from the oven – prick the surface of the lemon cake with a metal skewer while still warm. Brush over evenly with the syrup, allowing it to soak into the cake.
- Sprinkle over the lemon sponge cake with caster sugar to give a sweet, sticky top.
- Allow to cool, remove the lemon sponge cake from the tin, remove the paper and store in an airtight container until needed.
- Cut the lemon sponge cake into slices and serve.