This strawberries dessert is for strawberry and cream slices. This strawberries and cream recipe tastes great at any time of the year.
Ingredients – 4 slices
- Puff pastry: 200g
- Granulated sugar: sprinkle
- Chantilly cream: 150ml
- Fresh strawberries: 8
- Butter: greasing
- Flour: dusting
Getting everything ready
- Make a rectangle template about 10cm by 5cm with some clean card – this will help to cut the pastry into even sizes.
- Cut the strawberries into thin slices lengthways.
- Make the chantilly cream and store in the fridge until needed.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (Gas Mark 6).
- Lightly grease a flat baking tray or use a non-stick baking mat.
- Lightly dust your work surface and rolling pin with a touch of flour and roll out your pastry nice and thin.
- Take your template and place it on your pastry – cut out rectangles of pastry. You will need three rectangles for each cake. Cut out a total of 12 rectangles and place on the baking tray. Allow to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Carefully brush every 3rd pastry rectangle with cold water and sprinkle with granulated sugar – these will be the tops of the cakes.
- Place the baking tray in the centre of your pre-heated oven and bake for about 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully place the pastries onto a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a small star-shaped nozzle with the chantilly cream and pipe a wriggly line of cream along the length of one of your pastry rectangles. Neatly arrange strawberries on top. Place on top of this another pastry rectangle with cream and strawberries. Finally, place the top pastry piece on (this should be the one that had sugar on top).
- Neatly arrange your strawberry and cream slices and serve.
Hints and tips
Fresh strawberries have been used in this recipe but you could use other types of soft fruit.
If you find the puff pastry has risen too much, simply slice each in half lengthways. This will also give you more cakes.
We have put together some great tips on baking cakes, which includes information on skills such as creaming margarine, how to whisk eggs and sugar, use of pastry and the use of yeast.