This sponge cake recipe is for a Victoria sponge cake. This recipe for Victoria sponge is a traditional cake recipe and is great for any occasion.
Ingredients (7 inch cake tin)
- Soft margarine: 180g
- Caster sugar: 180g
- Eggs (large): 3
- Self-raising flour: 180g
- Vanilla extract: drops
- Raspberry jam: 150g
- Icing sugar: dusting
Getting verything ready
- Lightly grease two 7 inch sponge tins.
- Cut out two 7 inch circles of greaseproof paper and fit these into the bases of the sponge tins.
- Break eggs into a clean jug and beat well.
- Weigh and measure all ingredients.
- Pre-heat oven to 175°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Place the soft margarine and caster sugar into a large clean bowl.
- Using a hand-held electric whisk, whisk on high speed until the mixture becomes pale in colour, light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl from time to time.
- Keep whisking on high speed and gradually add the beaten egg. When all the egg has been incorporated, add a few drops of vanilla extract for flavour. Remove your whisk and exchange for a large metal spoon.
- Sift flour into the bowl and fold in using the spoon.
- Divide the mixture between your two sponge tins. Smooth over the tops.
- Place side-by-side in the centre of your pre-heated oven and bake for about 25 minutes until well risen, golden brown and springy to touch.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few moments. Run a knife round the edge of each sponge and carefully turn out onto a clean cloth.
- Remove greaseproof paper and turn the sponges over onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- When cold, spread the jam over one of the sponges. Place the other sponge on top and gently press down to form a sandwich.
- Dust the top of the Victoria sponge cake liberally with icing sugar.