This baked rice pudding recipe is a traditional pudding recipe and can be served with your favourite jam. If you are looking for rice pudding recipes, this rice pudding is well worth trying.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 40g pudding rice
- 600ml full fat milk
- 50g sugar
- 25g butter
- A touch freshly grated nutmeg, for dusting
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Place the pudding rice in a sieve and wash it well under cold running water.
- Then, place the rice into a saucepan, add the sugar and milk and put it on the hob over a low heat and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and allow it to simmer gently for about 8 minutes, stirring from time to time. Also keep a close eye on the milk to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
- Cut the butter into small cubes.
- Pour the rice and milk into an ovenproof dish, add the butter and grate over a touch of fresh nutmeg.
- Then, put the dish into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 35 minutes. Turn down the oven temperature to 160°C (Gas Mark 3) and cook for a further 30 minutes, by which time the rice should be well cooked, soft and creamy. If you find the pudding a little thick, simply add a touch more milk.
- Remove the baked rice pudding from the oven and, if you wish, skim off the brown crispy skin, although many people may like this bit best of all. Divide the rice pudding between warmed bowls and serve.
Baked rice pudding – hints and tips
If you wish, you can add a spoonful of your favourite jam to each bowl of baked rice pudding – delicious!