This is a creme caramel recipe to make creme caramels. Often referred to as crème au caramel, caramel crème or crème dessert, this custard recipe looks and tastes fantastic.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 200ml full fat milk
- 25g caster sugar
- A few drops vanilla extract
- 100g granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- A touch butter, for greasing
Getting everything ready
- Lightly grease the moulds with a touch of butter.
- Make the caramel. Place the granulated sugar into a small clean saucepan and add the cold water. Place on the hob over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Continue to boil gently until the sugar begins to turn a light golden colour and starts to caramelise. Use an old pastry brush and a touch of cold water to brush around the inside of the saucepan from time to time top avoid the sugar from caramelising on the sides of the saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and pour a little caramel into each of the moulds and allow them to cool and set. Take extra care when making caramel, as it gets very hot.
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C (Gas Mark 3).
- Pour the milk into a clean saucepan, add a few drops of vanilla extract and place on the hob over a low heat to warm.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a clean bowl, add the caster sugar and whisk well together.
- Carefully whisk the warm milk into the eggs and sugar.
- Pass through a fine strainer into a clean jug.
- When the caramel has set, pour the custard into the moulds, place them into an ovenproof dish and half fill it with warm water to make a bain marie.
- Place the dish into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 35 minutes or until the mixture is set and firm to touch. Do not allow the water in the dish to boil or the crème caramels may end up full of holes.
- When cooked, remove the creme caramel from the oven, take out of the bain marie and allow to cool. Then place the creme caramel in the fridge to chill.
- When you are ready to serve, run a small knife around the edge of the moulds, place a plate on top of the mould and turn it upside down. With a little shake, the crème caramels should escape freely from the moulds onto the plates.
Creme caramel – hints and tips
Any caramel that remains in the moulds can be drizzled around the plates.
Take lots of care when making caramel as it gets very hot.
Watch this creme caramel being made
Delicious dessert recipes
Fresh fruit salad
This recipe is for fresh fruit salad and can be prepared with the fruit of your choice. This fruit salad recipe uses a stock syrup and is served in frosted glasses with some pouring cream.
This recipe for rum babas is also know as baba au rhum, baba rhum and rumbaba. This rum cake recipe is a great recipe for using any rum you have in the house and makes a delicious dessert.
Apple sponge pudding – Eves pudding
This pudding dessert recipe is for Eves pudding, which is a traditional apple dessert recipe. If looking for how to make a pudding, this sponge pudding recipe is ideal.
This is a recipe for profiteroles, also known as cream puffs. This profiteroles recipe uses choux pastry to make plain chocolate profiteroles.
This chocolate tart recipe is a great chocolate recipe to try at home. If you are looking for chocolate dessert recipes, this choc tart will be ideal.
This brandy snaps recipe shows how to make brandy snaps and brandy snap baskets. Brandy snaps look and taste great and are mostly filled with cream when served.
Bread and butter pudding
This is a pudding recipe for bread and butter pudding. Often known simply as bread pudding, this dessert recipe is great served with hot custard.
This is a recipe for pancakes, also known as crepes. This pancake recipe shows how easy it is to make pancakes. Pancakes can be filled with the filling of your choice.
This recipe is for christmas pudding, often referred to as christmas pud and xmas pud. However you name it, this christmas food recipe tastes fantastic.
This recipe for pavlova uses strawberries to make a strawberry pavlova. This pavlova dessert could use any fresh fruit you like, such as black grapes and orange segments.