This pancakes recipe is also known as a crepes recipe. This pancake recipe shows how easy it is to make pancakes. Pancakes can be filled with the filling of your choice.
Ingredients – 2 portions
- 1 egg (large)
- 100g self raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml full fat milk
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Caster sugar to dust
- 1 lemon
Getting everything ready
- Break the egg into a clean bowl and whisk lightly. Add the flour and salt and mix well.
- To make the pancake mix, gradually whisk in the milk. Continue to whisk a few minutes to remove most of any lumps. Pass the batter through a fine strainer into another clean bowl, cover with cling film and allow to stand in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the lemon into wedges, remove any pips and save until later.
- Remove the batter from the fridge, take off the cling film and give it a quick stir.
- Heat a small frying pan over a medium heat on the hob and add a touch of oil. When the oil is hot, add enough batter to just cover the bottom of the pan. Swirl the pan around to get an even-sized pancake.
- Allow the pancake to cook a few moments until lightly coloured underneath. Then, using a palette knife, turn the pancake over to cook the other side. Or, if you are feeling full of confidence, try tossing the pancake over.
- When cooked, fold the pancake and place it on a warmed plate.
- Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and serve immediately and serve immediately with a wedge of lemon.
Pancakes – hints and tips
This pancake recipe suggests two or three pancakes per portion.
Pancakes are so nice and easy to make and inexpensive – most children love them. Don’t wait for Shrove Tuesday to come round, but enjoy them all year round. Follow this pancake recipe and you can serve them with jam, maple syrup or whatever you fancy.
Pancakes don’t always have to be sweet. They can be filled with all sorts of food, such as minced beef, chicken or vegetables for a vegetarian option. Served hot with a nice sauce, but you will not need the sugar but add some salt and pepper to taste when making the batter.