This recipe for pavlova uses strawberries to make a strawberry pavlova. This easy pavlova recipe could use any fresh fruit you like, such as black grapes and orange segments.
Ingredients – serves 4
- 3 eggs (large)
- 175g caster sugar
- 10g cornflour
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 450ml double cream
- 500g strawberries
- Line a shallow baking tray with non-stick baking paper or a non-stick mat.
- Wash the strawberries, remove any stalks and cut into quarters lengthways. Place into a clean dish and store in the fridge until required.
- Separate the eggs, leaving the whites in a very clean, grease-free bowl and use the yolks for a different recipe.
- Pre-heat the oven to 130°C (Gas Mark 1/2).
- Pour the egg whites into a very clean bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Keep whisking and slowly add the sugar. When all the sugar has been incorporated, use a large metal spoon and fold in the cornflour, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Place a round 8cm pastry cutter or metal ring onto a baking tray.
- Fill a large piping bag fitted with a large plain tube with your pavlova mixture and carefully fill the metal ring. When full, carefully remove the ring and place it on another part of the baking tray and fill with the mixture. Continue until you have four pavlovas on the tray.
- With the back of a wet spoon, smooth down any peaks and make a slight hollow in the centre of each pavlova.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake for about 1 hour until a light coffee colour, with the pavlovas crispy on the outside and soft, marshmallow like on the inside. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whip the fresh cream until it is thick enough to pipe and fill a piping bag fitted with a star tube.
- Place the pavlovas onto serving plates, pipe the whipped cream over the centre and down one side onto the plate. Neatly arrange the strawberries on top and over the side of each pavlova spilling onto the plate. Serve your strawberry pavlova.
Strawberry pavlova – hints and tips
Here we are using fresh strawberries, but you can use any fresh fruit you like. Black grapes and orange segments, for example, are very nice.
Pavlovas will keep for up to three days in an airtight tin before adding the cream and fruit.