This egg recipe shows how to make a cheese omelette, sometimes spelt omelet or omlette. If looking for a recipe for omelettes, this omelette recipe with cheese will be ideal.
Ingredients – Serves 1
- 3 large fresh eggs
- 50g cheddar cheese
- 10g unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Sea salt / pepper
Getting everything ready
- Break the eggs into a tea cup, remove any unwanted shell and transfer into a larger bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs together using a fork or whisk.
- Over quite a high heat, heat the omelette pan and add the butter and oil (the oil should stop the butter from burning). When the butter begins to bubble well, pour in the beaten egg mixture.
- Cook the egg mixture quickly, keeping the pan moving with one hand and stirring with a fork or spatula with the other, not allowing the mixture to settle.
- Do not overcook the omelette. It is done when it is still a little runny on top (‘baveuse’). Add the grated cheese, spreading over your omelette.
- Remove the cheese omelette from the heat. Using the fork or spatula, fold the cheese omelette and carefully turn out onto a warm plate.
- Serve the cheese omelette immediately.
Cheese omelette – hints and tips
Try to find a small frying pan, preferably non-stick, about 7” in diameter, with sloping sides: a proper little omelette pan. If you can spare it, keep it for just making omelettes. A large frying pan may prove to be too big and the egg mixture will spread far and wide., leaving you with a very large, thin, flat omelette.
Using a fork when making omelettes may not be too good on non-stick pans. So, if you feel more comfortable in using a spatula, then please do so. It will stop any scratches on that special pan.
Tips for cooking eggs
Here are some great tips for buying and cooking eggs as well as where to store them.