This recipe for a gourmet burger with a homemade brioche bun and pickled cucumber has been provided by The Cookery School at Braxted Park.
- Boil the vinegar and sugar together with the star anise.
- Cut long ribbon like strips using a peeler from the cucumber.
- Remove the vinegar mix from the heat and add the cucumber, leave to one side for 20minutes.
For the homemade brioche bun:
- Mix the yeast, milk, water and sugar in a jug and leave in a warm place to activate.
- Rub the butter into the flour with a pinch of salt until breadcrumb stage.
- Add the liquid mix to the flour mix.
- Knead the mixture until smooth and bouncy using a little sprinkling of flour where necessary.
- Put the ball of dough in a bowl and cover with cling film, leave in a warm place to rise for about half an hour.
- Once risen, re knead the dough and shape into small palm size balls.
- Place on a baking tray with parchment, gently oil the tops with a little olive oil and sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- Cover the buns in cling film and leave in a warm place again to rise.
- Place a baking tray with 1 cm of water in the bottom of the oven at 200oc
- Once risen, place the buns in the oven until golden, approximately 15 minutes.
For the gourmet burger:
- Mix all the ingredients together and shape into patties.
- Pan fry with a little oil until golden on each side the finish in the oven at 200oc for 10 minutes.