Pumpkin vol au vents are a great recipe for cooking pumpkin over the Halloween period. This pumpkin vol au vents recipe uses chicken and vol au vents to make a great tasting snack or meal.
Ingredients – 2 portions
- 2 vol an vent cases
- 2 portions mushroom duxelle
- 100g chicken breast
- 60g pumpkin flesh
- 15g red chilli
- 300ml chicken stock
- 50g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 50ml double cream
- Sea salt / pepper (to taste)
- Watercress (to garnish)
- Smoked paprika (to garnish)
Getting everything ready
- Make the chicken stock.
- Make and bake the vol au vent cases.
- Prepare the mixture for the mushroom duxelle.
- Cut the pumpkin flesh into small dice and place in a small, clean bowl.
- Deseed the red chilli and cut into very fine dice and put in a small bowl.
- Using your raw meat board, cut the chicken breast into small dice and place in a bowl. Don’t forget to wash your hands well after using raw meat.
- Wash the sprigs of watercress.
- Pour the stock into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over a low heat on the hob.
- Lightly season the pieces of chicken and add to the simmering stock to poach for about 10 minutes until well cooked.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Keep the stock simmering.
- Meanwhile, take about 10g of the butter and place in a small frying pan over a low heat to melt.
- When the butter begins to bubble, add the pumpkin and chilli to the pan. Sauté for a few minutes until the pumpkin is tender. Give the mixture a twist or two of salt and pepper.
- Remove from the pan and keep warm. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C / Gas Mark 3.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized saucepan, melt the remaining butter over a medium heat.
- When it has melted, stir in the flour to make a roux and allow it to cook for a few moments to cook the flour. Add the stock, a little at a time, to make a sauce.
- Turn down the heat and add the chicken and pumpkin and chilli mixture.
- Stir in the cream. Make sure it is piping hot before serving and check the seasoning.
- Heat the mushroom duxelle in the small frying pan and place the vol au vent cases in the warm oven to heat through.
- When everything is hot and ready to go, place the vol au vent cases on to warmed plates. Half fill the cases with the duxelle and top up with the chicken and pumpkin mixture, allowing it to spill over the edge down on to the plate. Dust with a touch of smoked paprika.
- Garnish your pumpkin vol au vents with sprigs of watercress and serve.
Cooking tips for main course recipes
Main course recipes come in all shapes and sizes to suit different tastes and appetites. Click here for some great suggestions for cooking tips for mains recipes.