This pasta recipe is for lasagne, sometimes called lasagna. This recipe for lasagne is great served with garlic bread and a crispy green salad.
Ingredients – 2 portions
- 350g lean minced beef
- 50g bacon (unsmoked)
- 80g onion
- 80g celery
- 60g mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g baby plum tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato puree
- 200ml brown stock
- 40g breadcrumbs (white)
- 2 tsp oregano (dry)
- 500ml white sauce
- 50g cheddar cheese
- 1 tbs dry white wine
- 200g lasagne sheets
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
- Butter for greasing
Getting everything ready
- Make the white sauce and keep warm in a bain marie.
- Remove any rind from the bacon and cut into fine strips.
- Make the white breadcrumbs. Mix 1 teaspoon of the oregano with the breadcrumbs.
- Finely chop the baby tomatoes. Place into a bowl and add the remaining oregano and the white wine. Mix together.
- Grate the cheese.
- Peel the onion and peel and roughly chop the garlic. Place into a blender.
- Wash the celery, chop roughly and add to the blender.
- Blend for a few moments to make a paste (if you haven’t got a blender, cut into very fine dice).
- Remove the stalks and wipe the mushrooms with a clean damp cloth and slice finely.
- Use lasagne sheets that no not need any pre-cooking.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the minced beef and bacon and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sliced mushrooms and the onion, garlic and celery paste. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the tomato purée. Mix well. Return to the heat, add the chopped baby tomatoes and half of the breadcrumbs. Mix well. Add the stock, bring to the boil and season to taste. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
- Lightly butter an ovenproof dish approx 9”x6”x2”.
- Spoon in a layer of beef to cover the bottom of the dish. Cover this with a layer of lasagne sheets, then another layer of beef and top off with a layer of lasagne sheets. Cover with the white sauce and place into the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lasagne from the oven. Turn up the temperature to 200°C (Gas Mark 6). Sprinkle the top of the lasagne with the remaining breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Return the lasagne to the oven for a further 15 minutes until the top of the lasagne is brown and bubbly.
- Remove the lasagne from the oven and spoon onto warmed plates. Serve your lasagne with a few slices of garlic bread and a really cripsy green salad.
Tips for cooking pasta
Here are some great tips for cooking pasta, which includes information on how to choose your pasta and how to avoid overcooking your pasta.