This recipe with chicken uses penne pasta and broccoli. This pasta with chicken and broccoli is great served with Parmesan cheese.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- 300g penne pasta
- 4 chicken breasts
- 200g broccoli
- 50g butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 130ml dry white wine
- 300ml double cream
- 50g Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Cook the penne to the ‘al dente’ stage. Drain and refresh under cold water. Allow the pasta to dry and place it in a clean bowl. Season with a little salt and milled pepper and add the olive oil and basil leaves (torn between your fingers). Mix together, cover with cling film and put aside until required.
- Break the broccoli into small bite-size florets. Blanch in boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain into a colander and refresh under cold water. Allow to dry. Place in a clean dish, cover with cling film and save until required.
- Cut the chicken breast into 1cm wide strips, cutting across the breast. Season and place in a clean dish and cover with cling film. Store in the fridge until required.
- Peel and finely dice the shallots.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves.
- Finely grate the Parmesan and put into a small serving dish.
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the butter and olive oil and allow the butter to melt then add the shallots and garlic and stir fry for about 3 minutes without colour. Add the sliced chicken pieces and continue to stir fry for a further 5 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked.
- Turn up the heat and add the wine. When the wine has evaporated, turn down the heat once again and ad the cream. Simmer for 2 minutes. The cream will reduce and thicken.
- Add the broccoli and marinated pasta. Gently cook the penne with chicken and broccoli for a further 2 minutes until all the ingredients are hot. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Spoon the penne with chicken and broccoli into warmed bowls and garnish with a few small basil leaves. Serve the chicken and pasta with a dish of finely grated Parmesan cheese.
Pasta with chicken and broccoli – hints and tips
Putting a pinch of bicarbonate of soda into the boiling salted water when blanching the broccoli should help to keep the broccoli’s lovely green colour.
Tips for cooking pasta
Here are some great tips for cooking pasta, which includes information on how to choose your pasta and how to avoid overcooking your pasta.