This recipe for penne pasta is served with pancetta and baby broad beans. If looking for pasta with pancetta recipes, this recipe for penne will be ideal.
Ingredients – Serves 2 | Cooking time 10 mins
- 150g dry penne
- 140g pancetta
- 80g frozen baby broad beans, skinned
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 75ml dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250ml double cream
- 15g basil leaves
- 15g Parmesan cheese
- Sea salt / pepper
Getting everything ready
- You can buy packets of pancetta already diced in most supermarkets.
- Cook the pasta to the ‘al dente’ stage. Drain and refresh and allow to dry and put into a clean bowl. Season lightly and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Using your fingers, tear the basil leaves into the bowl (leaving a few smaller ones for garnish). Mix together, cover with cling film and put aside until required.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add a little salt and the baby broad beans and gently boil for 3 minutes. Drain in a colander, refresh under cold water and allow to dry. Then, take the beans one at a time between your thumb and first finger and squeeze the green bean out of its skin. This will take a few minutes but is really worth doing, as the beans are so much better without their skins.
- Place the green beans into a small dish, cover with cling film and keep until required.
- Peel and finely dice the shallots.
- Peel and crush the garlic.
- Flake the Parmesan cheese.
- Heat a heavy-based pan over a medium heat and add the remaining oil. Add the crushed garlic and shallot and stir-fry for about 1 minute without colouring.
- Add the diced pancetta and continue to stir-fry for a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and carefully add the wine. When the wine has evaporated, turn the heat back down and add the cream, which will thicken to form the sauce. Season to taste.
- Add the marinated pasta and broad beans. Mix well and allow them to heat through for a few moments.
- Divide the pasta with pancetta between warmed bowls and garnish with flakes of Parmesan and small basil leaves. Serve the penne pasta immediately.
Tips for cooking pasta
Here are some great tips for cooking pasta, which includes information on how to choose your pasta and how to avoid overcooking your pasta.