This recipe with pasta uses penne pasta with roasted vegetables. This recipe with pasta and vegetables is served with a tomato sauce.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- 300g penne pasta
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red onion
- 1 butternut squash
- 150g baby tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp Oregano (dried)
- 5-6 tbs tomato sauce
- Flat leaf parsley to garnish
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Make the tomato sauce.
- Chop the parsley.
- Cook the penne to ‘al dente’ stage and drain and refresh and allow it to dry. Place the pasta in a clean bowl, season lightly and add 2 tablespoons olive oil and half of the chopped parsley. Mix well and cover with cling film and put aside until required.
- Cut both the red and yellow peppers into half. Remove the seeds and cut into approx 2cm squares.
- Peel and cut the onion into 1cm dice.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Wash and dry the courgettes, cut off the tops and tails and cut into 1cm dice.
- Wash the sprigs of rosemary.
- Remove any stalks from the baby tomatoes and wash and dry them.
- Peel and de-seed the butternut squash and cut into 1cm dice.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
- Lay the prepared vegetables except the tomatoes and garlic into a large roasting tray. Season, sprinkle over the oregano and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Mix well. Lay the rosemary on top of the vegetables. Place the tray in the oven and roast the vegetables, stirring from time to time.
- After 20 minutes, remove the tray from the oven. Add the baby tomatoes and chopped garlic and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
- In the last few minutes while the vegetables are roasting, heat the tomato sauce in a heavy-based saucepan. You only need enough just to slightly coat the pasta and add some flavour. Add the penne and heat through.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Throw away the sprigs of rosemary. Spoon the roasted vegetables into the pan of penne pasta and mix well.
- Spoon the pasta with roasted vegetables into warmed bowls and sprinkle each one with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Tips for cooking pasta
Here are some great tips for cooking pasta, which includes information on how to choose your pasta and how to avoid overcooking your pasta.