This potato recipe is for bubble and squeak. Bubble & squeak is a classic dish and is great for using leftover potato and cabbage.
Ingredients – 2 portions
- 300g mashed potato
- 200g cabbage
- 1 medium egg
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
- Both the potato and cabbage should be cooked and allowed to go cold.
- Then, mix them together in a large clean bowl. Check the seasoning, but remember they should already have been seasoned when cooked earlier.
- Add the egg yolk and mix well
- Heat a little oil in a heavy-based frying pan. When hot, add the bubble and squeak mixture and, using a fish slice or palette knife, flatten out the mixture to cover the base of the pan. Allow to fry until the bottom of the mixture becomes brown and crispy. Turn over and do the same again.
- When it is brown and crispy on both sides, remove from the pan into a warmed serving dish or on warmed plates.
Bubble and squeak – hints and tips
Bubble and squeak is a great way of using up leftover potato and cabbage. It is nice to use the lovely green leaves of a savoy cabbage.