This salad recipe is for beetroot salad. If looking for recipes for beetroot, this beetroot salad will be ideal.
Ingredients – Serves 1
- 50g beetroot
- 15g onion
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly milled black pepper, to taste
- Peel the beetroot and cut the beetroot into small dice. Place it in a bowl.
- Peel and finely dice the onion and mix with the beetroot.
- Add the vinegar and mix together.
- Season the beetroot salad to taste.
Beetroot salad – hints and tips
Try to buy baby beetroot that are already cooked and packed – this can generally be found in the vegetable section in the supermarket. You could also use tinned beetroot or that in jars but remember to drain well and remove any brine.
If you want to use your own homegrown beetroot, wash well under cold running water, then boil in salted water for 45 mins – 2 hours, depending on the size of the beetroot. Cool and peel before using.
Ensure you leave the stalk and root attached to the beetroot when boiling and try not to damage the skin – this will stop the beetroot from bleeding while cooking and losing any of its rich dark colour.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.