This tomato salad recipe includes basil, rocket and roasted tomatoes.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 20 baby tomatoes
- 4 rashers smoked back bacon
- 125g rocket leaves
- 125g basil leaves
- 50g watercress
- Balsamic dressing, to taste
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100g Parmesan cheese shavings
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, for frying
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Make the balsamic dressing.
- Blanch and refresh the tomatoes. Remove the skin, leaving them whole, and place on a baking tray.
- Cut off any rind from the bacon and cut into small strips.
- Heat a small frying pan over a high heat, add a tiny amount of oil and add the bacon strips and fry until crispy. Remove from the pan onto kitchen paper to drain off any excess oil. Allow to cool.
- Pick the basil leaves from their stalks and place into a colander. Add the rocket leaves and the watercress. Wash and dry well and place in a large clean bowl.
- Peel and crush the garlic cloves and place into a small bowl. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar and mix together.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Lightly season the tomatoes and drizzle over with the balsamic vinegar, sugar and garlic mix.
- Place into the oven and roast for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the basil, rocket and watercress with enough dressing to coat the leaves.
- Divide the leaves between the plates. Sprinkle each plate with a few of the bacon pieces and add five roasted tomatoes to each plate. Drizzle over any remaining dressing over the tomato salad.
- Garnish the tomato salad with Parmesan shavings. Serve immediately, while the tomatoes are still hot.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.