We have put together some great salad tips for making great tasting and simple salads.
Salad making tips
- Olive oil is wonderful stuff and plays a major part when it comes to salads and salad dressings. Buying extra virgin olive oil is very much like buying a bottle of wine. There is such a wide choice, each one a little different in colour and flavour.
- With all different ingredients, it is possible to make some very interesting salad dressings. It is great fun trying something new.
- Salads don’t have to be cold. Try the warm chicken salad recipe and, if you like goat’s cheese, the deep fried goat’s cheese salad.
- There are some famous salads throughout the world: salad nicoise, Waldorf salad and caesar salad to name but a few.
- A word of caution. You may start to use small ingredients such as pine nuts or sunflower seeds, for example. These can be a choking hazard to very young children, so take extra care and store these items out of the reach of tiny hands!
- You can create some lovely flavoured oils but what you put in the oil (e.g. basil leaves) will soon being to deteriorate. As you will be using this oil cold for dressing, any bacteria will not be cooked out with heat – label and date it and keep an eye on it.
Great tasting salad recipes
This salad recipe is for a Waldorf salad. This Waldorf salad is a famous salad and uses apples, celery, walnut, celeriac, mayonnaise, double cream and lemon juice.
This salad recipe for cous cous salad, often referred to a couscous salad, is quick to make and uses sweet chilli sauce and sultanas. If looking for couscous recipes, this cous cous salad will be ideal.
Blue cheese salad
This salad recipe is for a blue cheese salad. If looking for salads with blue cheese, this recipe includes pear to also give a great pear salad.
This salad recipe for tomato salad and is served with shallots and vinaigrette. This tomato salad recipe can be served with extra virgin olive oil and makes a great starter.
This salad recipe is for salad nicoise. This tuna salad recipe uses egg, black olives, tomatoes, onions and French beans to make a famous salad dish.
Warm chicken salad
This salad recipe is for a warm chicken salad. This warm salad recipe makes a delicious chicken salad, served with tomatoes, pancetta, olives and cranberry dressing.
This sweetcorn salad, often referred to as sweet corn salad, uses red and green peppers, spring onion and mayonnaise. This sweetcorn salad recipe is quick to make and is very refreshing.
This recipe for coleslaw, sometimes referred to as cole slaw, is great to make at home. If looking for a coleslaw recipe, this cole slaw will be ideal.
Celery and walnut salad
This salad recipe is for a celery and walnut salad. This walnut salad recipe is served with chopped parsley and is quick and easy to make.