This salad recipe for tomato salad and is served with shallots and vinaigrette. This tomato salad recipe can be served with extra virgin olive oil and makes a great starter.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- 8 fresh ripe tomatoes
- 50g shallots
- Small basil leaves to garnish
- Vinaigrette dressing to taste
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Blanch, refresh and peel the tomatoes.
- Peel and finely slice the shallots.
- Make the vinaigrette dressing.
- With a very sharp knife, carefully slice the peeled tomatoes. Lay into a shallow dish, sprinkle over the shallots and drizzle over some of the dressing. Season to taste.
- Add a few small basil leaves, cover with cling film and place in a fridge for 1-2 hours.
- To serve the tomato salad, remove from the fridge, arrange the sliced tomatoes neatly on the plates. Drizzle over a little more dressing and mill over a little more black pepper. Garnish with a few fresh small basil leaves.
Tomato salad – hints and tips
As with many salad recipes, this tomato salad will make an excellent starter.
If it is a hot summer’s day and you are having a meal outside and wish to be transported to the Mediterranean, instead of drizzling over a vinaigrette dressing, give your tomatoes a good dressing of extra virgin olive oil.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.