This salad recipe is for a warm mushroom salad, using a range of different mushrooms.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 8 flat mushrooms
- 200g button mushrooms
- 240g chestnut mushrooms
- 80g red onion
- Approx 150g rocket leaves
- Approx 150g watercress
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- Tarragon dressing, to taste
- 40g roasted pine nuts
- 200ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- Parsley, finely chopped to garnish
- Sea salt / pepper
- Balsamic syrup (optional)
- 4 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Getting everything ready
- Make the tarragon dressing and store in the fridge until required.
- Peel the flat mushrooms and remove the stalks. Place on a baking tray, season and drizzle over the olive oil.
- Using a clean, damp cloth, wipe the other mushrooms. Leave the button mushrooms whole. Cut the chestnut mushrooms into quarters.
- Peel and finely dice the red onion.
- Zest the lemon using a fine grater. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice into a small bowl, removing any pips. Add the zest and mix together.
- Roast the pine nuts.
- Chop the parsley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
- Put the flat mushrooms into the oven and roast for approximately 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan. Add the onion and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Add the button and chestnut mushrooms and continue to stir-fry for a further 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- If you are using brandy, now is the time to add it to your pan. Carefully pour in the brandy and tip the wok or frying pan slightly. The brandy should ignite. It will only flame for a few moments, burning off the alcohol. When the flame dies away, add the lemon zest and juice and the sweet chilli sauce.
- Remove from the heat and add the cream. Check the seasoning and keep warm.
- Remove the flat mushrooms from the oven and keep warm.
- If you are using it, draw a few lines of balsamic syrup across the plates.
- In the centre of the plates, make two small nests of rocket leaves. Place a flat mushroom onto each nest. Spoon over the other mushroom mixture and top with a little tarragon dressing.
- Spread the watercress loosely around each plate. Sprinkle with roasted pine nuts and chopped parsley. Serve the warm mushroom salad immediately.
Salad making tips
We have put together some great tips for making great tasting and simple salads. This includes the use of olive oil and extra virgin olive oil.