This chicken and sweetcorn soup recipe is a popular soup recipe for many. This recipe for chicken soup includes sweetcorn and makes a great tasting homemake chicken soup recipe. The sweetcorn could be replaced with leek to make a chicken and leek soup.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 large chicken breast (350-400g)
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 100g butter or margarine
- 100g plain flour
- 50g spring onions
- 50g sweetcorn (tinned or frozen)
- 200ml double cream
- White bridge rolls (optional)
- Salt and milled black pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Make the chicken stock.
- Cut the poached chicken into fine strips. Store in the fridge until required.
- Cook and refresh the sweetcorn as per the instructions on the packet or tin.
- Shred the spring onions.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large heavy-bottom saucepan over a medium heat. Add the shredded spring onion (leaving a few for garnish) and sweat for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux and cook gently for a few minutes without colour. Slowly add the chicken stock to the roux, always stirring with a wooden spoon to prevent any lumps, until all the stock has been absorbed. Turn down the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Add the cooked sweetcorn and the chicken.
- Check the consistency. If the soup is too thick, add a little more stock. Add the cream and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Ladle the chicken and sweetcorn soup into warmed soup bowls and garnish with a little shredded spring onion and dust each bowl with a little paprika pepper and serve.
Chicken and sweetcorn soup – hints and tips
For a plain cream of chicken soup, leave out the sweetcorn. Replace the sweetcorn with sweated leeks to make a chicken and leek soup. Replace the sweetcorn with roasted red pepper for a chicken and roasted red pepper soup.