Red lentils soup is a great tasting lentils soup and is served with smoked pancetta. This red lentil soup could be served with smoked streaky bacon and croutons.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 200g red lentils
- 50g carrots
- 50g leek
- 8 rashers smoked pancetta
- 50g red onion
- Approx 1½l chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 parsley stalks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and milled black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- 50g croutons
Getting everything ready
- Make the chicken stock.
- Put the lentils into a fine strainer and wash well under cold running water.
- Peel and chop the carrot and chop the carrot into ½” dice. Peel and chop the onion into ½” dice. Wash and chop the white of the leek into ½” dice.
- Cut 4 rashers of pancetta into ½” strips. Cut the remaining rashers into ¼” pieces. Shallow fry in a frying pan until crispy (no oil). Remove and drain on kitchen paper and put aside for the garnish.
- Make your own croutons from white bread and put aside for the garnish.
- Chop the parsley for garnish.
- Place the washed lentils into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently, skimming if necessary.
- Warm the oil in a large frying pan then add the onion, carrot, leek and remaining pancetta. Sweat for 5 minutes without colour.
- Add to the simmering lentils and simmer for a further 45 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly, and blend in a liquidiser until smooth. Pass the soup through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan.
- Reheat to nearly boiling. Season to taste.
- Ladle the red lentil soup into warm soup bowls. Garnish each bowl with a few crispy pancetta and sprinkle over chopped parsley. Serve with croutons.
Red lentils soup – hints and tips
If you can’t find pancetta, then use smoked streaky bacon instead in this red lentil soup.
For a vegetarian option, exchange the chicken stock for vegetable stock and omit the pancetta, leaving you with a red lentil soup.
Watch this red lentils soup being made
Other soup recipes
This soup recipe is a halloween favourite – pumpkin and sweet potato. This pumpkin soup is great with sweet potato.
Parsnip soup – with added hint of korma
This parsnip soup recipe has a mild korma taste and makes a great tasting recipe for parsnip soup. This parsnips soup can be served hotter and more spicy with madras instead of korma paste.
This soup recipe is for cauliflower soup with horseradish cream. This will be ideal if you are looking for cauliflower recipes and enjoy making your own soup recipes.
Swede and potato soup
This potato soup recipe is for swede and potato soup. If looking for a simple soup recipe, this swede and potato soup will be ideal.
French onion soup
This french onion soup recipe is a great tasting soup recipe to make at home. This onion soup recipe can be served with toasted bread flutes covered in melted cheese.
Vegetable broth soup
This soup recipe is for a vegetable soup, often called a vegetable broth. If looking for vegetable recipes, this veggie soup recipe will be ideal.
Tomato and Port soup
This tomato soup recipe includes port to make a great tasting tomato and port soup. When looking at recipes for soup, this homemade tomato soup tastes fantastic.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This broccoli soup recipe is a great soup recipe to try. Add some Stilton cheese to make a great broccoli and cheese soup. If you are looking for a recipe for broccoli, this is well worth a try.
Chicken and sweetcorn soup
This chicken soup recipe is a popular soup recipe for many. This recipe for chicken soup includes sweetcorn and makes a great tasting homemake chicken soup recipe.