This tomato soup recipe includes port to make a great tasting tomato and port soup. When looking at recipes for soup, this homemade tomato soup tastes fantastic.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 80g unsalted butter or margarine
- 80g plain flour
- 30g sugar
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 10g parsley stalks
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 80g streaky bacon
- 80g carrots
- 100g tomato purée
- 80g onion
- Approx 1.6lt vegetable stock
- 80g port
- 200g double cream
- 60g croutons (for garnish)
- Small fresh basil leaves (for garnish)
- Salt and milled black pepper to taste
Getting everything ready
- Make the vegetable stock.
- Wash, peel and chop carrots into ½” dice. Peel and chop the onion into ½” dice.
- Cut the bacon into ½” dices.
- Cut the croutons and fry in shallow oil. Drain on kitchen paper and leave for the garnish.
- Wash the basil leaves, dry and put aside for the garnish.
- Blanch the tomatoes. Peel and deseed. Slice the flesh into fine julienne for garnish. Put the skins in the vegetable stock.
- Pour the stock into a saucepan, add the parsley stalks and bay leaves, bring to the boil and allow to simmer gently.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat, add the carrots, onion and bacon and sweat for about 5 minutes without colour.
- Stir in the flour to make a roux. Cook for a further 2 minutes, remove from the heat and add the tomato purée and stir in well.
- Return to the heat and slowly add the simmering stock until all the stock has been absorbed, stirring all the time.
- Add the sugar and season to taste. (Be careful with the salt because of the bacon, which can be a little salty sometimes). Simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- Pass the tomato soup through a fine strainer into a clean saucepan. Check the seasoning and consistency. Bring the tomato soup to a gentle heat and add the port and cream (save a little cream for garnish). Simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Ladle the tomato soup into warmed soup bowls, add the julienne of tomatoes to each bowl, drizzle over a little cream and garnish each bowl with a few fresh basil leaves. Serve with a small bowl of croutons.
Tomato soup – hints and tips
Leave out the bacon for a vegetarian tomato soup option.
For a more Mediterranean option, drizzle over the tomato soup with a little extra virgin olive oil rather than cream.
Watch this tomato soup being made
Other delicious soup recipes
Swede and potato soup
This potato soup recipe is for swede and potato soup. If looking for a simple soup recipe, this swede and potato soup will be ideal.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This broccoli soup recipe is a great soup recipe to try. Add some Stilton cheese to make a great broccoli and cheese soup. If you are looking for a recipe for broccoli, this is well worth a try.
This soup recipe is a halloween favourite – pumpkin and sweet potato. This pumpkin soup is great with sweet potato.
French onion soup
This french onion soup recipe is a great tasting soup recipe to make at home. This onion soup recipe can be served with toasted bread flutes covered in melted cheese.
Chicken and sweetcorn soup
This chicken soup recipe is a popular soup recipe for many. This recipe for chicken soup includes sweetcorn and makes a great tasting homemake chicken soup recipe.
Red lentils soup
This red lentils soup recipe is a great tasting lentils soup and is served with smoked pancetta. This red lentil soup could be served with smoked streaky bacon and croutons.
Vegetable broth soup
This soup recipe is for a vegetable soup, often called a vegetable broth. If looking for vegetable recipes, this veggie soup recipe will be ideal.
Parsnip soup – with added hint of korma
This parsnip soup recipe has a mild korma taste and makes a great tasting recipe for parsnip soup. This parsnips soup can be served hotter and more spicy with madras instead of korma paste.
This soup recipe is for cauliflower soup with horseradish cream. This will be ideal if you are looking for cauliflower recipes and enjoy making your own soup recipes.