This soup recipe is for a vegetable soup, often called a vegetable broth. If looking for vegetable recipes, this veggie soup recipe will be ideal.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- Carrots: 50g
- Leek: 50g
- Celery: 50g
- Swede: 50g
- Turnip: 50g
- Savoy cabbage: 50g
- Pearly barley: 40g
- 900ml vegetable / chicken stock
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish
Getting everything ready
- Make the stock.
- Wash, peel and rewash all the vegetables.
- Finely shred the savoy cabbage.
- Cut the remaining vegetables into fine julienne.
- Chop the parsley.
- Wash the barley under running water before placing into a small saucepan. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, adding extra water if necessary. Pour the barley into a fine strainer and refresh under cold running water.
- Place the barley into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan then pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add all the vegetables except the cabbage, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and simmer for another 5 minutes before seasoning to taste.
- Ladle the vegetable soup into warmed soup bowls, then garnish with lots of chopped parsley.
- Serve the vegetable soup with chunks of warm crusty bread.
Vegetable broth – hints and tips
When cooking a pulse such as barley, always leave the seasoning to last.
As with any soup, this is best served with chunks of warm crusty bread.
Watch a vegetable broth soup being made
Other soup recipes
This soup recipe is a halloween favourite – pumpkin and sweet potato. This pumpkin soup is great with sweet potato.
Parsnip soup – with added hint of korma
This parsnip soup recipe has a mild korma taste and makes a great tasting recipe for parsnip soup. This parsnips soup can be served hotter and more spicy with madras instead of korma paste.
Broccoli and Stilton soup
This broccoli soup recipe is a great soup recipe to try. Add some Stilton cheese to make a great broccoli and cheese soup. If you are looking for a recipe for broccoli, this is well worth a try.
Red lentils soup
This red lentils soup recipe is a great tasting lentils soup and is served with smoked pancetta. This red lentil soup could be served with smoked streaky bacon and croutons.
Chicken and sweetcorn soup
This chicken soup recipe is a popular soup recipe for many. This recipe for chicken soup includes sweetcorn and makes a great tasting homemake chicken soup recipe.
French onion soup
This french onion soup recipe is a great tasting soup recipe to make at home. This onion soup recipe can be served with toasted bread flutes covered in melted cheese.
Tomato and Port soup
This tomato soup recipe includes port to make a great tasting tomato and port soup. When looking at recipes for soup, this homemade tomato soup tastes fantastic.
This soup recipe is for cauliflower soup with horseradish cream. This will be ideal if you are looking for cauliflower recipes and enjoy making your own soup recipes.
Swede and potato soup
This potato soup recipe is for swede and potato soup. If looking for a simple soup recipe, this swede and potato soup will be ideal.