This soup recipe is for a vegetable soup, often called a vegetable broth. If looking for vegetable recipes, this veggie soup recipe will be ideal.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- Carrots: 50g
- Leek: 50g
- Celery: 50g
- Swede: 50g
- Turnip: 50g
- Savoy cabbage: 50g
- Pearly barley: 40g
- 900ml vegetable / chicken stock
- Sea salt / pepper to taste
- Parsley to garnish
Getting everything ready
- Make the stock.
- Wash, peel and rewash all the vegetables.
- Finely shred the savoy cabbage.
- Cut the remaining vegetables into fine julienne.
- Chop the parsley.
- Wash the barley under running water before placing into a small saucepan. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 hour, adding extra water if necessary. Pour the barley into a fine strainer and refresh under cold running water.
- Place the barley into a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan then pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Add all the vegetables except the cabbage, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and simmer for another 5 minutes before seasoning to taste.
- Ladle the vegetable soup into warmed soup bowls, then garnish with lots of chopped parsley.
- Serve the vegetable soup with chunks of warm crusty bread.
Vegetable broth – hints and tips
When cooking a pulse such as barley, always leave the seasoning to last.
As with any soup, this is best served with chunks of warm crusty bread.