This prawn cocktail recipe uses prawns and avocado and is served in a glass. If looking for recipes for prawn cocktail, this prawn avocado is great served with triangles of brown bread and butter.
Ingredients – 4 portions
- 400g king prawns – cooked and peeled
- 1 large little gem lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 40g cucumber
- 1 avocado
- Marie Rose sauce
- 1 lemon
- Paprika pepper to garnish
- 2tbs lemon juice
Getting everything ready
- Make the marie rose sauce and keep in the fridge until required.
- Peel and deseed the finely dice the cucumber.
- Concasse the tomatoes and cut the flesh into fine dice.
- Cut the avocado in half lengthways and remove the stone. Using a small melon baller, ball the fleshy part of the avocado (as for balling a melon) and place the small balls into a bowl. Sprinkle over the lemon juice.
- Cut the lemon into quarters lengthways. Remove any pips and trim the wedges.
- Wash and dry and finely shred the lettuce.
- Knap a little marie rose sauce into the bottom of each glass. Divide the lettuce between the glasses, then divide the tomato and cucumber between the glasses.
- Drain off any excess lemon juice from the avocado and divide the avocado balls between the glasses.
- Carefully add the prawns to the glasses.
- Knap over the remaining marie rose sauce and dust each glass of prawn and avocado cocktail with a sprinkling of paprika pepper.
- Serve the prawn cocktail with a neat wedge of lemon.
Prawn cocktail – hints and tips
It is nice to serve triangles of brown bread and butter with this prawn cocktail recipe. Try not to ball the avocado too early, as it has a tendency to discolour in the air. The lemon juice should hopefully stop this happening too quickly.