This tomato recipe is for baked stuffed tomatoes. This stuffed tomato recipe uses couscous to make great tasting tomato dish.
Getting everything ready
- When buying your tomatoes, ensure they are very firm to touch.
- Make up a little couscous (enough to fill your tomatoes when they have been hollowed out). Mix in some of your favourite ingredients (e.g. black olives, apricot, almonds, chilli, mushrooms or coriander) to give the couscous a touch more flavour.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes and remove any stalks.
- Carefully cut the top quarter off each tomato (the rounded end). Using a small spoon, scoop out all the seeds from inside the tomatoes, leaving them hollow. Lightly season the inside of each tomato.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4).
- Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan and brush over a baking tray to lightly grease it. Place the tomatoes onto the tray and fill each one with the couscous mixture. Place the top back on to each tomato.
- Brush the stuffed tomatoes with a little of the melted butter and give a twist or two of sea salt. Place the tomatoes in the pre-heated oven to bake for about 8 minutes or until the stuffed tomatoes are just cooked but still remain firm.
- Remove the baked stuffed tomatoes from the oven when cooked and serve.