This is a recipe for broad beans with bacon. This broad bean recipe is quick to cook and looks and tastes great.
Getting everything ready
- Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for about 3 minutes. Refresh under cold running water, drain and allow to dry.
- Using your fingers and the aid of a small knife, squeeze out the lovely green beans from their skins. Place in a clean dish, cover with cling film and put aside until required. It is quite time consuming taking the skins off the beans, but well worth doing — you end up with a lovely colour bean.
- Remove any rind from the bacon and cut into small dice (lardons).
- Over a medium heat, heat a little oil in a frying pan. Add the bacon lardons and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- Add the broad beans and stir-fry for a further minute or two. Season to taste.
- Remove the broad beans and bacon from the pan and drain on kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
- Spoon the broad beans into warmed dishes or onto warmed plates. Serve immediately.
Cooking broad beans with bacon – hints and tips
Like peas, broad beans are a very good vegetable that is used from frozen. But, they are lovely when fresh, young and tender between early May until early August.