This vegetable recipe is for green beans with roasted nuts. If looking for green beans recipes, this recipe with beans is quick to cook and tastes great.
Getting everything ready
- Pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
- Wash the green beans and top and tail. Blanch the beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, then plunge them into ice cold water to stop further cooking. Drain well and dry on a clean cloth. Place in a clean bowl and put aside for later.
- Cut off any rind from the bacon and cut into medium dice. Place in a clean dish and save until later.
- Cut the cashew nuts into half lengthways and place onto a baking tray. Sprinkle over a little vegetable oil and roast gently under the grill until lightly golden, stirring from time to time. Remove from the grill and put the cashews into a clean bowl.
- Add the almonds to the tray and roast under the grill in the same way. When roasted, add to the cashews in the bowl.
- Finally, roast the pine nuts and add to the bowl and mix well.
- Heat a tiny touch of vegetable oil in a wok or sauté pan over a medium heat. Add the diced bacon pieces and stir-fry for about 2 minutes. Add the green beans and stir-fry for a further 2 minutes. Add the roasted nuts and mix well.
- Remove the green beans from the heat and, using tongs, arrange the green beans on warmed plates or into a warmed serving dish. Sprinkle any remaining bacon pieces and nuts over the top of the green beans. Give a twist or two of coarse sea salt and freshly milled black pepper and a very light dusting of finely grated nutmeg. Drizzle over a little extra virgin olive oil and serve immediately.
Take great caution when using large nuts of any kind when cooking for young children and toddlers, as they are a choking hazard.