This vegetable recipe is for roasted parsnips with honey. If looking for a roast vegetable recipe, this recipe for roasting parsnips will be ideal.
- Wash, peel and rewash the parsnips. Cut them into approx. 8cm lengths. Cut each piece on half lengthways and then in half once again. Remove any tough core from the middle of the parsnips. You should now have finger-shaped parsnips about 8cm in length.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
- Pour oil into a roasting tray or ovenproof dish and heat in the oven. When hot, remove from the oven and add the parsnips. Season to taste.
- Quickly stir to ensure the parsnips are evenly coated with oil and return to the oven and roast for about 12–15 minutes.
- Remove the parsnips from the oven and stir in the clear honey and return to the oven for about a further 10 minutes.
- Remove the roasted parsnips from the oven.
Using tongs, place the roasted parsnips into warmed serving dishes or onto warmed plates.
Roasted parsnips – hints and tips
Parsnips are one of our best winter vegetables. They are lovely when fresh, but the older they are, the more woody they become.
I do not know if this is a fact, but parsnips always taste sweeter when they have been in a frost.